Child directed, Inquiry and Project Based Learning Programs
Barrie Forest and Natural Learning School is a place where children, adults and families find their wildhood. Through our learning programs children build their self-motivation, creativity, resilience, problem solving and innovation skills.
At Barrie Forest and Natural Learning School we believe connecting children with their wildhood is important. We believe children not only learn through play but learn to work with others, find their sense of place in the natural world, to problem solve and discover/pursue interests through play. At Barrie Forest and Natural Learning we support this learning and exploration through a safe yes environment, materials and adult facilitation only when needed.
What We Do
Online Inquiry, and PBL Courses
We teach online enrichment classes using Inquiry Based, Problem and Project Based Learning. We start with an idea, topic or driving question your child is interested in or passionate about and develop their learning further
Virtual Nature School
We are collaborating with Claire Helen Warden from Living Classrooms to expand Virtual Nature School to North America. When you sign up for this homeschool program you receive daily inquiry learning based on the interests of your children. After your exploration we meet up at lunchtime to share our adventures.
Forest & Natural Learning School
At our forest and natural learning school in person classes we do not pre plan learning activities or script the day we do carefully consider how to best use the environment to support and show trust in their learning and process through play. The day is structured to allow the children to make decisions about where they are, how they want to connect and how they want to pursue their interests in their play.
Our School Numbers
More than 250
Learners taught online using Project Based and Inquiry Learning
Providing inquiry and child centered programming and training
Facilitating Forest and Natural Learning Programs
Programs/Workshops Currently enrolling
Why You’ll Love Us
We believe children through to adults deserve to pursue their interests as play. We facilitate Inquiry and Project Based Learning that is fun and engaging!
- Classes led by a trained facilitator
- Passion Project classes guided completely by the facilitator with detailed feedback
- Homeschool Programs that increase motivation, exploration and interaction for families
- In person classes that build self motivation, creativity, resilient, problem solving and innovation skills
- Workshops for adults to increase sustainability, innovation and creativity with children
Our Favourite Inquiry and PBL Tips
- Project Based LearningPerseverance is not doing something you don’t want to do. It is sticking with something you want to do that is hard.
- Project Based LearningHow do I find something my Learner is interested in? Listen! Have conversations, talk about what they know, what they don’t, what’s interesting.
- Inquiry Based LearningWhat do you do with a quiet learner? They are still contributing! Tip: Acknowledge them and let them know they can participate however they want, even just listening. This shows the entire class you accept everyone where they are at.